Spreading positivity is not that hard.
For some people, this is the best time of the year…while for others, it is the worst. Gatherings with families, friends and loved ones can be fantastic or fatalistic, warm and pleasant or icy and disturbing, and can pick us up or knock us down.
Whether positive or negative, emotions tend to run high this time of year. It is for this reason that, when we can find positivity for ourselves, spreading positivity is so important. There are a lot of people for whom this emotional season is just something they want to be done with.
This time of year can also get particularly frustrating due to larger-than-normal crows and lines, inconsiderate and rude people, and general stress for the holidays.
Still, each and every one of us can be beacons of good energy and raising the vibration of those around us by spreading positivity. How? Here are five ideas that take little to no effort to employ.
Five actions for spreading positivity
- Smile at a stranger. As you walk past people you do not know, smile at them. Nod towards them. Say hello. General pleasantness can go a long way towards making someone feel good, and it will make you feel good in return.
- Talk to cashiers. Don’t be on your phone when you check out at the grocery store, or any other retail establishment. Be kind to the people ringing you out. They endure a LOT of abuse this time of year, and it is enormously positive to be that person who they remember pleasantly.
- Tip well. Restaurants tend to be super-busy this time of year. Be kind to your waiter/waitress, be pleasant, and treat them with respect. Then, leave a good tip. Like cashiers, they tend to take a lot of abuse. Treat them as you would desire to be treated, and leave an excellent gratuity. This is a huge positivity generator.
- Be interactive with others. Say please, thank you, and such. For real, this is a huge generator of positivity. We get so caught up in things we do, that we tend to forget pleasantries. Please, thank you, pardon me — human interaction builds positivity between us. We get so lost on our phones and in our own heads that we ignore other people around us. Being more interactive can put more good out there.
- Stay calm. Remember that everyone else wants to get out of that line, off that highway, away from the crowd. Keeping calm may seem like something of a no-brainer, but this simple action can help with spreading positivity by being a point of calm energy in a storm of stressors.
I know that this can be a real challenge for people. But it is not a one-way street.
Spreading positivity comes back to you
When we work to be more positive, and to spread that to people around us, it comes back to us in return. Try any of the above suggestions, and see how it makes YOU feel. Giving positivity to others also gives it to yourself.
All five actions are easy, they require simple actions, and cost you nothing. But what you get back from what you give can improve not only your day, but the days of everyone you come into contact with. Given the state of the world today, isn’t that a really good idea?
Finding positivity is not hard, but it does require action.
Knowing that spreading positivity to others comes back to make us feel good as well, this is a tool we can employ every day that will improve not only our lives, but the lives of those around us. When we take action to make other people feel good and empowered, of course we empower ourselves. When we feel empowered, we often spread that feeling to others around us, and as such can build more positive feelings. We can use the positive feelings this generates to dissolve negative feelings. When we take away negative feelings, we open up space to let in positive feelings, and that is something we can be grateful for. Gratitude leads to happiness. Happiness is the ultimate positive attitude. Positive attitude begets positive energy, and that is always a good thing.
PS — Working on your holiday shopping? For CyberMonday, I have books for the Kindle on sale at Amazon. Seeker, Finder, and Clouds of Authority will be discounted tomorrow through Wednesday. Fantasy and Steampunk make great gifts — or you can treat yourself!
Originally published at titaniumdon.com on November 26, 2018.